Re: [SLUG] FAQ

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 22:39:24 EDT

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 10:03:34PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:

> Maybe this is to Paul, but I wonder if we could add to the SLUG website
> a few FAQ's, such as the "What's the Best ISP?" question (which
> occasionally leads to almost-flame wars) and a few other,
> um...Frequently Asked Questions. It might contribute to a little more
> peace. (But who needs peace? It's boring...but then again, I stay away
> from the Slug-Politics list :-)
>
> Thoughts?

I'd love to have more FAQs, but "What's the best ISP?" probably wouldn't
be one of them. For one thing, there are so many (local and national),
it would be impossible to do them all justice. For another, people's
experience with them varies so widely, I don't think we can make any
definite statements about them. One person says a given ISP reeks, and
another says the same ISP rocks. And unfortunately, if you found
anything on the net that detailed who ran Linux and who had good support
and good service, it would probably omit all the local ISPs.

I'm open to suggestions, but I can't think of a good way to do the ISPs.

Paul