[SLUG] Linux Terminal Server Project

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 20:37:28 EDT

I read about the Linux Terminal Server Project in the Linux Journal that
was given out during the CTS show. It's designed to make things easy to
run Linux with diskless workstations, and sounds pretty cool. This must
be the cheapest and easiest way to set up a small office's computing
needs since the client machines can be what is commonly discarded or
sold for less than $50 in this country.

On their links page there's even a mention of a new distro geared for
schools using diskless workstations - it used Red Hat 7.1 with various
patches and updates, the LTSP stuff, and apparently is being produced
by a school district in Oregon that uses Linux now for its computing
needs. (actually, it looks like it may be a pretty good desktop distro
by itself if you want to check it out)

Site addresses are

http://www.ltsp.org

http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us/linux/k12ltsp.html

This is the kind of stuff that to me makes Linux an exciting place to be
right now.

    scott