Re: [slug] Re: [SLUG] Want Linux on your desktop? Nine reasons to forget about it

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 00:10:03 EDT

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, leo wrote:

> The question is still pending on RH support. Thank you for the info. As to

> > > the time. I just learned (please don't laugh) that all the control for
> > > installs is in a text file that I can edit, not in some archane
> > > "registry" where trying to remove something can create chaos.

You are describing (in the Red Hat distribution) the Red Hat
kickstart control file, 'comps'. But the 'arcane regustry'
(RPM) will simply NOT break anything if you do not use
--nodeps or --force. See:

   ftp://ftp.colug.net/pub/mirror/redhat/redhat/7.1/i386/RedHat/base/comps

There is a medium volume mailing list respecting kickstart at
Red Hat. This control file is used by the tool in turn, which
is part of the 'anaconda' package, which is the python based
installer Red Hat uses.

   see anaconda-runtime-7.1-5.i386.rpm in
   /pub/mirror/redhat/redhat/7.1/i386/RedHat/RPMS
   on that host

Sorry to say, but there are ... 1400 files making up the
driver for the installer. 17 public bugs show against
anaconda in Bugzilla; It is largely developed internally and
with the non-public pre-beta testers wringing out the bugs.
I filed or tracked 31 against it in the last testing cycle
leading to RH 7.1. 3 RFE's remain open

Filing those bugs essentially consist of repeatedly installing
from CD, and watching for python crashes with 'corner case'
hardware or installations. The catchlines of some of 'my'
anaconda bugs include:

X-server nonstart detection recovery fallback code

aic7xx no longer autodetects AHA2940 and NEC-501 cd-rom

RFE: Make all images in /images/ 'full size'
   (I'm proud of this one -- all images of the type
    'boot.img' are exactly 1.44 floppy size so they DD
    and may be programatically verified cleanly.)

 Lowres failover mishandled'?

7.1B3 - lowres fallback error with Cirrus video card

Text install with onboard Cirrus video dies at X select

... breath-taking, ehh?

-- Russ