[SLUG] re:Mike Manchester

From: Bill Preece (savatage@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 10:33:59 EDT

Again forget about Word Perfect 8 .

For 89.00 You can get Word perfect Standard 2000 for Linux it will read and
write Ms Word 95,97 and 2000
documents and works fine. 98% compatibility.

I use the Deluxe cause I wanted Paradox database and the other goodies.
129.00.

You need to remember that Word Perfect 8 came out in once again 97 the same
year as office 97 and
at the time they shipped before Microsoft did. Even though you can update it
a bit it will not work.

The Word Perfect 2000 Std or Deluxe is the exact one as the Windows Version.
They just added wine.
Any way I again in the I.T. dept here at my work where they are against
Linux am using it every day to do
my reports in Excel and Word formats. They do not know the difference!

Also I contact our 130 Sales offices with this and write documents and memos
to them all the time they do not know.

Also the 5 Sister corporations of this Company does not know.

I even did a Database in Paradox and sent it to them they think it is
Access.

Unfortunately you have to buy the deluxe to get Paradox.

For a 129.00 package you get 98% compatibility with Office 97 and 2000. This
is a 450.00 savings <-- Hmm Ram , Hard Drive
and Dvd's .....

Why worry about the 8 version.

 Yes I know we have star office and open office they really are not good
enough and that is true.
In fact Most of my stuff will not work under it. So yes this is a down fall,
Applix I have not used enough but have
been told that it still has some compatibility issues. Fonts won't show up
right justifications and formatting.

Then you have Open Office which will not print and again some same problems
with the compatibility.

The next thing and I hope they port it is IBM's Lotus Smart Suite!!!! How
ever it will run under wine and it is about 85 - 95 % compatible.
You can get this cheap like under $50.00 at places like Mb's and Thompsons.

Or I have heard even cheaper at the Computer Shows in Orlando like $10.00
and that is with Graphics and Approach!
In fact I may set up smartsuite on my laptop this weekend.

Bill P.

Also Corel Draw $590.00 Windows $199.00 Linux same thing except the Linux
one is using Wine and works great!!!!!
Also supports Adobe Plugins for Adobe Photo Shop ! ! ! !