[SLUG] re:Mike Manchester

From: awyatt@intergate.cx
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 12:53:36 EDT

I'm still working on getting smart suite to work with wine, I have
had little luck so far.. (with the installer) I'm going to try to
install it with win4lin, then see if wine will execute the binaries..
(That's how I got Office 97 and IE 5.01 working)

-AW

> Original Message from Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:33:59 -0400:>
> Again forget about Word Perfect 8 .
>
> For 89.00 You can get Word perfect Standard 2000 for Linux it will
read and
> write Ms Word 95,97 and 2000
> documents and works fine. 98% compatibility.
>
> I use the Deluxe cause I wanted Paradox database and the other
goodies.
> 129.00.
>
> You need to remember that Word Perfect 8 came out in once again 97
the same
> year as office 97 and
> at the time they shipped before Microsoft did. Even though you can
update it
> a bit it will not work.
>
> The Word Perfect 2000 Std or Deluxe is the exact one as the Windows
Version.
> They just added wine.
> Any way I again in the I.T. dept here at my work where they are
against
> Linux am using it every day to do
> my reports in Excel and Word formats. They do not know the
difference!

> Also I contact our 130 Sales offices with this and write documents
and memos
> to them all the time they do not know.
>
> Also the 5 Sister corporations of this Company does not know.
>
> I even did a Database in Paradox and sent it to them they think it
is
> Access.
>
> Unfortunately you have to buy the deluxe to get Paradox.
>
> For a 129.00 package you get 98% compatibility with Office 97 and
2000. This
> is a 450.00 savings
> and Dvd's .....
>
> Why worry about the 8 version.
>
> Yes I know we have star office and open office they really are not
good
> enough and that is true.
> In fact Most of my stuff will not work under it. So yes this is a
down fall,
> Applix I have not used enough but have
> been told that it still has some compatibility issues. Fonts won't
show up
> right justifications and formatting.
>
> Then you have Open Office which will not print and again some same
problems
> with the compatibility.
>
> The next thing and I hope they port it is IBM's Lotus Smart
Suite!!!! How
> ever it will run under wine and it is about 85 - 95 % compatible.
> You can get this cheap like under $50.00 at places like Mb's and
Thompsons.

> Or I have heard even cheaper at the Computer Shows in Orlando like
$10.00
> and that is with Graphics and Approach!
> In fact I may set up smartsuite on my laptop this weekend.
>
> Bill P.
>
> Also Corel Draw $590.00 Windows $199.00 Linux same thing except
the Linux
> one is using Wine and works great!!!!!
> Also supports Adobe Plugins for Adobe Photo Shop ! ! ! !

This E-Mail was sent with MailMax/WEB.
http://www.smartmax.com