Re: [SLUG] VMWare handing out Linux at a Microsoft conference

From: Bill Preece (savatage@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 14:51:43 EDT

You know it's a shame we were trying to let people know we were at the show
as well
as trying to get people interested in coming inside to see us as well as the
Office XP launch,
and Microsoft we ballistic and went not only from Scott but to the Building
Management to get us kicked from
being outside to inside. We even got permission to do so from Scott.

Now with this with VMWARE which I am glad Microsoft gives them their
blessing because it will
promote Linux to people too. I have to wonder though why the kindness to
them and not us?
Was it because we were a non Money making company? Or was it a attempt to
make us look bad
and like we were a bunch of people being malicious? Was it maybe a threat
that we would reach more people
and interest them then they would? Was it because we were giving out more
freebies then they were?

By the way we have pictures of their people in our booth getting freebies
and hanging out and watching both
Robin's and Maddog's speeches. We did not tell them to leave! Why because we
think that everyone should
be treated fairly. It does not have anything to do with what the do or who
they work for. We should call Linux
the EOT Equal Opportunity Technology!

What ever the reason this is a kind of cheerful thing to hear that VM is
getting to promote Linux with the
exception of RedHat , Caldera , and Mandrake even Debian , Progeny, not
being part of the give out.
There is a sad side too now Microsoft is trying to look like they are being
peaceful to the community after
flaming our rights at a public building promoting Linux.

Any ways the next show will go on!

October 17th and 18th.