[SLUG] upgrade

From: Bob File (rfile@innet.com)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 19:53:48 EDT

Well....
I got my copy of Suse 7.2 and went to do an upgrade and it completely
balked. I don't know what to think. Suse 7.1 did OK when I asked it to
install on the thrid HD and put lilo in a strange place..... This version
claims it cannot find an existing linux boot and won't let me tell it where
to find anything. The last time I used Yast 1 on an install it failed to
write the boot map and I had to boot off of floppies for a while until I
ended up reinstalling with Yast 2.
If I try to do a _new_ install it (suse 7.2 using yast 2) will show the
partitions on /dev/hdc, but won't let me touch the last partition on the
drive, which is where the root directory should go. Shucks... It looks like I
will have to repartition. I purposely made a seperate partition for /home so
that I could have all my data/configs for the next upgrade. Oh well, no
upgrade tonight. I'll have to do some more reading and see what I can come up
with. I already have /home written to a CD, but I am disappointed that things
have gone awry. I think there may be a problem also with some of the
partitions being reiserfs. None of /dev/hdc's partitions are listed as
reiserfs, but as native linux (ext2?).