Re: [SLUG] File transfers between 2 computers

From: J. Burnsworth (jburnsworth@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 09:40:31 EDT

Make sure rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, and rpc.nfsd load at bootup.

Then edit your exports file (/etc/exports)...

[directory] [IP or network/netmask(ro)] ..or whatever permissions you
want to give the share.

You get the idea.. :)

Mine looks like this (on Slackware):

# /etc/exports
# See exports(5) for a description.
# This file contains a list of all directories exported to other
computers.
# It is used by rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd.
/host/slakware 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(ro)
/host/jmb 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(ro)
# end of /etc/exports

Of course you can specify these shares on a per IP basis, but on
my home network there just isn't a need.

I keep at least one machine on my network at home with an NFS share of
the Slackware install for those convenient network installs. :)

Hope to make it to the next meeting, it will be my first.

Good luck,

Joseph