[SLUG] Vaio Z505 & Mandrake 8.0

From: tom ufer (tomufer@keepandbeararms.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 16:51:28 EDT

Non-Member submission:

From: "Dr. R. Paul Mansdoerfer" <drnolungs@earthlink.net>
To: "Linux User Grp. South" <slug@nks.net>
Subject: Vaio Z505 & Mandrake 8.0
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:50:32 -0400

Hi All,
I'm new to the group, joined yesterday afternoon. I trust I'm doing this
correctly, if not please advise.

My question is: I have a Sony Vaio Z505LKS, I purchased it from Emperor Linux,
with Windoze 2K and Mandrake 7.2. I've tried to install Mandrake 8.0, however
VERY unsuccessfully. It balks with error messages while trying to load the
kernel. I thought the supplied disk may have been damaged, but that's not the
case. It appears, that the external CD drive will not load correctly, neither
USB or PMCIA style. I have been told, don't know if true or not, that it's a
model problem, specfic to the Z505. Please give me any and all thinking,
opinions and fixes, I really need the latest version on the lap top. I do
have it my desk machine, and no problems doing the install, however my desk
machine was specfically built for Linux, by Penguin Computing.

Second question, late on the thread re: Sarasota Mtg, when, where, time, etc.
I live an hour south of Sarasota.

Thanks in advance;
Dr. Paul