Re: [SLUG] Debian, Logcheck and Postfix (oh my!)

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 19:23:12 EDT

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 07:04:48PM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:

> > > Without being familiar with Postfix, I'd recommend that the place to
> > > look for is to tell your mail server to accept mail for the
> > > "quillandmouse.com" domain. Hopefully that would allow it to just
> > > accept mail sent to "root@quillandmouse.com" and stop trying to forward
> > > it on.
> >
> > My ISP's mailserver _does_ accept mail from/for quillandmouse.com. The
> > problem seems to be that mail sent to any "unqualified" address (like
> > root, paulf) gets "@quillandmouse.com" added to it locally. And
> > therefore goes out to the ISP instead of delivering locally.
>
> Yep. I guess I wasn't clear - to fix this problem, you should tell your
> LOCAL machine to accept mail for the "quillandmouse.com" domain as well
> as "mars.lan" - then when mail is sent to anything@quillandmouse.com, or
> an unspecified domain name in which case quillandmouse.com is appended,
> your local mail server will know that *it* should accept that mail and
> not try to deliver it through your ISP.
>
> I don't know how to make Postfix do this though.
>
> I like the availability of choice when it comes to MTAs, but I keep
> going back to Sendmail, because it just plain does all the stuff I need
> it to do, and since the late 8.8.x days and the existence of .mc files,
> mostly it's really easy. Under Debian's default sendmail config,
> there's a "local-host-names" file to which I just add all the domains
> for which Sendmail will accept mail for local delivery and I'm done with
> it...

Well, here's the rub. Mail going to my wife (nancyf@quillandmouse.com)
_shouldn't_ get delivered locally. Fun, huh?

Yeah, I've been thinking about sendmail. Problem is, last time I ran
sendmail, I only had the .cf file, no .mc files that I could find, and I
didn't know what to do with the .mc files if I had them. But I'm
starting to reconsider. Postfix is really good, but it doesn't have the
long term support and knowledge base that sendmail does. (Got fewer
security problems, though.)

Paul