Re: [SLUG] samba on second Linux box

From: Kevin Fogleman (snotr0cket@home.com)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 12:47:56 EDT

Well, I have some good news for you and some bad news. Bad news comes
first:

You will have to create a smb.conf file for each user and set the
appropriate permissions for each share. This is more or less
unavoidable unless there is something that I'm missing, such as a way to
generate the file automatically using a script. So don't take this as
an absolute answer.

Now, the good news:

Samba supports using a seperate server for authentication, both with
another Samba server and with a Windows NT Primary Domain Controller.
To use the latter of these options, you will have to do the following:

1) Stop the samba daemons on the Linux machine

2) Add the Samba server to the NT domain on the PDC using the "Windows
NT Server Manager for Domains" tool. When it asks for computer type,
choose "Windows NT Workstation or Server"

3) Generate a Microsoft-format machine password with smbpasswd, using
the following format:

smbpasswd -j <NT domain> -r <NETBIOS name of Primary Domain Controller>

4) Add the following to the [global] section of smb.conf:

security = domain
domain logins = yes
workgroup = <name of workgroup you are serving>
password server = <NETBIOS name of PDC>

This is more or less taken from O'Reilly's "Using Samba." I highly
recommend it if you are going to be administering a production Samba server.

--Kevin Fogleman