[SLUG] Building an RPM...

From: Douglas Koobs (dkoobs@tampabaydsl.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 23:16:40 EDT

Hey SLUGers,

I'm trying to build an RPM (at least, I think that is what I
an trying to do). The reason I am doing this is the the
XFree86 4.x series has a patch in it (called ramtiming, I
think) that fixes "snow" problems in some Banshee video
cards. In other Banshee cards, however, it makes the Xserver
unusable... Guess which category my card fits into?
So, I'm trying to build the rpm without the patch in it. I
downloaded the source rpm's

Xfree86-4.0..0.3-21.src.rpm, along with
Mesa- and Mesa-devel-3.4.2-1.i386.rpm.

The Mesa rpm's install without a hitch. Then I ran the
Xfree86 rpm (seemed to work fine), and went to
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS and edited out the offending patch in
XFree86.spec. While still in the SPECS directory, I tried:
rpm -bb XFree86.spec

and all I get in response is the "Usage:" help message that
indicates I have no clue what I am doing :) I also tried the
following:

rpm -bp XFree86.spec
rpm -bc XFree86.spec
rpm -bi XFree86.spec

but got the same Usage message each time... Maybe I need to
try the BS option??? I am running rpm-4.0.2-8. Any
suggestions? Thanks,

Doug