Re: [SLUG] gentoo

From: R.G. Mayhue (r.g.mayhue@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 07:31:47 EDT

On Thursday 05 July 2001 11:22 pm, A2L1 wrote:

> Just a question?
> Has anyone yet installed this distro??Gentoo I mean
> It sounds pretty decent and Im dl it now---gonna give it a shot if
> anyone has had experience with it let me know please---if not Ill
> offer an opinion when I have it installed and running
> NFO can be had at http://www.gentoo.org
>
> Thanks,
> A J

I've been using gentoo off and on for about two years now. I first
tried it back when the name was "enoch". It has gone through many
great changes since I first found it (including the name change).

Gentoo is probably one of the more "bleeding edge" distros, but the
"portage" package system (based on FreeBSD ports) is a very good
idea. This new release has been long awaited.

I have been using the CVS development versions and I have not updated
in a good while, ever since some major changes broke some things. So
the new release will be some new territory for me also.

--
R.G. Mayhue
r.g.mayhue@verizon.net