Re: [SLUG] Procmail question for Paul

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 17:44:50 EDT

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 11:25:57AM -0400, Mike Manchester wrote:

> I'm trying to setup procmail (your presentation at Dunden convinced me I need
> it). I read in a FAQ that the following needs to be added to the ~/.forward
> file.
> "|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/local/bin/procmail || exit 75 #myid"
>
> My question is do I need this and what does it do?

I don't think you do need this, if sendmail is set up to deliver to
procmail (it will mention procmail at the bottom of your sendmail.cf if
it's set up that way). I believe using the .forward mechanism is only
if your MTA doesn't deliver to procmail. Then, the MTA (e.g. sendmail)
checks .forward and does whatever it says there, which would be (in
this case) to run procmail.

Paul