Re: [SLUG] More Firewall Fun

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 19:17:43 EDT

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 10:18:27PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:

<snip>

> Third, where do you keep the ipchains script? For me, it seems that Debian
> has got some default rules and thus a default script, but I don't exactly
> know where to find it...well, I guess I don't need to know to edit it,
> because there is a utility called, aptly, "ipchains," so I should just be
> able to type (from the command line) "ipchains -A <chain>", at least
> according to the man page...

Derek answered most of this. You should make a script with all your
firewall/ipchains commands in it, called rc.firewall or somesuch. Then,
there's probably a file somewhere in the /etc/ hierarchy called
rc.local. At the end of that file, include a call to rc.firewall
(wherever you put it). That will run your rc.firewall script on bootup.
Unfortunately, though I'm also on Debian, I don't run System V init
scripts; there's a package called "file-rc" in Debian that's easier to
administer and doesn't require seven rcX.d directories and 700 links.
Otherwise, I'd tell you exactly where to find the rc.local file.

Paul