Re: [SLUG] How would I....

From: billt (billt@ifelse.org)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 06:48:13 EDT

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 01:25:39AM -0400, Norbert Omar Cartagena wrote:
> Ok, I'm still dealing with that really big file (3giger!). Now, how
> would I do something like split
>
> split filename.tgz
>
> and pass off the split pieces off to another directory (say
> /home/weeeee)? Something like this, maybe?

hm, if there is a 2gb limit on file size, then i wonder if it still be
impossible to recombine the pieces into the 3gig size on the new
filesystem? if so will it even be usable?

having never used reiserfs, can't tell ya is it has a 2 gb limit.
maybe there is a FAQ somewhere. the source of inode.c mentions
something about a 2GB limit:
linux-2.4.5/fs/reiserfs/inode.c:

263:// files which were created in the earlier version can not be
       longer,
264:// than 2 gb

whatever that means ??

standard stuff like ls -l works on the file, right? if not then it
could be the libc is old or compiled without large file support or
the GNU fileutils is old. i don't think that's the case, though
because i think you mentioned cp works, just bails at > 2gb.