Re: [SLUG] Microsoft backtracks

From: Ron KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@qsl.net)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 21:36:48 EDT

Hi ALL, just my opinion:

Travis Walls wrote:

> Heres how i feel about the whole thing. I grew up on Microsoft. Maybe in
> another life, I'll be fortunate enough to have parents who use UNIX and not
> MS-DOS.

  Not likely, at about $ 2,800 per desktop install. (I read this figure)
I think that's why pop didn't use it.

> So anywho, I feel more _comfortable_ with microsoft software, and it
> makes sense too. 10 years with MS vs. 4 yrs with linux on and off. MS has
> indeed gotten to the point where no one wants to upgrade. either they are
> happy with the current software or they suffered from a previous upgrade and
> never want to do it again. but once one has an os installed its gonna take
> alot for them to throw it all away and start fresh. Linux is nice, but not
> perfect. I can ignore the bugs like broken fonts and occasionally
> disappearing windows. and the fact that you have to use three different
> progs for every task to get all the features you want...

  I use one, always a script file I wrote, that't how we do it, we put
little pieces together.

> ... and occasional system lockups.

  I couldn't stand the constant winblows lockups with 3.11 so in
June 1998 I went LINUX 100% and I'm not EVER going back. I think
most LINUX `lockups' are actually keyboard driver or controller
lockups as pan keeps downloading along when I can not regain control.
  (my modem keeps chugging along)
I am considering re-compiling my kernel with the `sys request'
feature, when time permits my full understanding of it.

> I can put up with it, i did for windows.

  Linux is 1/10 the lockup trouble of 3.11, to me.
I NEVER had enough `resources' to display the icons
of my programs (mostly DOS) and run one or two, if
I could only run one at a time, EVERYTHING DOS runs
faster in DOS than in 3.11 so why use winblows and
without any chance of a winblows hang.

> but howsa bout
> hardware. when i buy hardware i dont rant and rave if theres no linux
> support. i just get an os that supports it. now most of my stuff works with
> linux. but it just so happens the really expensive stuff doesnt. which means
> im not throwing away anything.

  I upgrade ever other year, LINUX isn't going to be `cutting edge'
hardware wise, I can't complain, I can only afford used parts anyway.

> i guess what im trying to say is linux is
> great and getting better, but until the industry openly accepts it aka
> writes drivers for it, and more quality software is made i think i am goin
> to stick with windows on my desktop. of course my server will still be
> powered by redhat and my laptop just might stay with caldera, but i think im
> gonna go back to MS. afterall, an amazing thing has happened. MS is actually
> trying to listen to people, and people are tearing into them. and if youve
> ever beta tested windows you kno what i mean, every dialog ask was this
> dialog necessary why or why not. and there are tons of user surveys being
> conducted who have used XP. so as far as im concerned im a happy MS user
> because finally a balance has been found and its called linux

  73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@qsl.net SENT Time and Date are UTC
      I upgraded to LINUX, the more I use it, the more I love it.
        It doesn't do everything for you, you must program it.
         Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm