[SLUG] Japanese text in Netsape under X/Gnome?

From: Paul Legato (pjlegato@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 21:48:47 EDT

Hi,
I'm using Red Hat 7.1 out of the box. I can't seem to get Japanese text input
working without changing my LANG environment variable to Japanese (I don't
remember the specific setting). The problem with this is that it makes my
entire Gnome system Japanese. I don't read Japanese very well, so this isn't
workable. I just want to be able to type Japanese text in Netscape, and maybe
do a little light word processing.

I'm running canna and wnn, and I've tried running kinput2 in the background,
but I can't seem to figure out how to activate it. Netscape will display
Japanese on webpages fine, I just can't type in Japanese.

Has anyone got Japanese input under X working?

Thanks,
-Paul