Re: [SLUG] Ximian, microsoft and .nyet

From: Robert Haeckl (rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 00:37:13 EDT

Ed Centanni wrote:

> My guts heave at the idea of a .net for Linux but then where would we be
> today without Samba? Didn't Samba PREVENT people from being locked into
> microsoft products for file and print services? Could Mono be another
> Samba?
>
> Ed "recoiling from the loud bang as he presses the send button" Centanni

My problem with .Net, at least as I understand it, is that access to
data will be controlled by Microsoft and sold back to you, whether it's
of your own creation or not. No longer will you have to pay Microsoft
the usual upgrade tax, but you will have to pay Microsoft to use your
own data or anyone else's who chooses to distribute it via .NET (the
fear being that there won't be a choice.) Imagine the consequences of
either dropping this plan after starting or being left out if you choose
not to buy into it:

Envision .NET as sort of a "BlockBuster" that rents movies and
soundtracks that can only be viewed through Microsoft's Media Player
which, of course, you can only gain access to it if you buy into the
.NET plan. Creators and Distributors of such would be forced essentially
to make their works available via .NET to reach the widest audience. I
can understand having to pay the creators to view, but to have to lease
the "internet VCR" each time, too? You pay Microsoft a tax every time
you watch a movie or listen in on a company virtual meeting?

How about "rent a phone"? Can't talk to a friend via the net unless you
are both using a downloaded .NET phone and connect via a leased
Microsoft server.

And didn't I read somewhere that Microsoft's later licenses stipulate
that they reserve the right to take ownership of any data sent via their
network? Maybe I misunderstood the licensing but the idea that access
to data must flow through Microsoft's gravy train is a bit disturbing to
me. You may not be able to access some of your favorite sites unless
you buy into the .NET plan. Microsoft knows they can't control the wire
but maybe through proprietary servers they can control the endpoints of
the internet. Maybe it's a bit paranoid but in view of Microsoft's
business practices a healthy dose of skepticism is warranted.

To me, having a headstart with its control of standards and its virtual
desktop monopoly, using proprietary data formats, and holding data
hostage are the keys to Microsoft's future success. Ximian .NET has as
much of a chance as Beta vcrs.

-Robert Haeckl
In that article, by the way, why would de Icaza extol the virtues of
C#'s garbage collection services when that has been a major feature of
Java?