Re: [SLUG] Procmail FAQs

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 23:38:28 EDT

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 06:47:32PM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:

> Paul or anyone else who's a Procmail type: How have you learned all the
> ins and outs of procmail?

No. ;-}

> I haven't been able to find anything on the
> web that's even vaguely useful as a reference, and the procmail manpage
> is pretty useless to me.

You did check out man procmailrc and man procmailex, right? I've also
got some simple stuff on the SLUG FAQ page. Let me know if that's
confusing as well.

> I'd like to start using procmail more, so I'm not as reliant on my email
> client having a decent set of filtering capabilities, but I'm kind of
> stuck because I haven't been able to find anywhere that gives me a good
> idea of what procmail can actually do. (Yeah, I could read the source
> code, but I'd rather have a real reference for it...)
>
> In the meanwhile, and my main sticking point at the moment, does anyone
> know of a way to make procmail copy an incoming message (based on a
> regex match) to another folder, then "tag" that message as "deleted"
> without actually deleting it from the inbox?

If I understand you correctly, then Ian's solution will work. Just use
the 'c' flag to copy the mail wherever you like. It will also appear in
your inbox, so you can read and then delete it (and a copy will still be
in the folder you sent it to).

Paul