[SLUG] Samba Question - Mount

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 01:10:12 EDT

False administrivia positive.

----- Forwarded message from slug@lists.nks.net -----

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL <sotl155360@earthlink.net>
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: Samba Question - Mount
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:37:10 -0400

Hi All:

Another Samba question and an address question too.

First the address question. Sorry folks this is a Win 98 question.
I can ping linux to Win 98 and Win 98 to linux on a 2 computer network if I
use number addresses. If I use name I can ping linux to Win 98 but when I
attempt to ping Win 98 the windows wants to automatically dial out on the
modem. I I click c*ncel on the dial out of the modem the box waits for
while and then says that it can not find the address.

My HOSTS file in the Windows box and the /etc/hosts file in the linux box are
identical and as follows:

192.168.1.1 lansysopt landsysopt.office.lan
192.168.1.2 lanuser1 lanuser1.office.lan

1. Do I need name recognition from Win to Linux?
2. If so do may I keep automatic dial out in Win?

Second Question
I allegedly have Samba set up. Please note the the word allegedly.

Anyway I desire to view the files on the Win box from the linux box
(preferable by Kong and MC).

If I recall correctly you have to mount the Win box on the Linux box for this
action to take place. My Samba instructions do not say this but I believe I
read it someplace. If so how do I do this?

Thanks
Frank

----- End forwarded message -----