Re: [SLUG] pine question

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 14:04:12 EDT

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 12:09:01PM -0400, Kai Lien wrote:

> Www.dyndns.org wants
> some activity (such as an update) within 30 days. Otherwise, they will
> consider it an inactive account and drop you.

I've had my fill of dyndns' crap. My RR IP rarely changes, and when it
does it changes more than once. I'm sick and tired of sending pleading
requests to the dyndns admins asking them to re-enable my "abusive" account
that was obviously DoSing their servers with a half dozen IP changes
too quickly.... *sigh*

Try staticcling.org - it's free, and run by mahlon - the stinkymeat guy. ;)

> With all that, you only have to remember your account name with
> www.dyndns.org. No more toying around with IP numbers.

I go a step farther, and have a CNAME from my native domain point to
the dynamic DNS record:

        home.blenke.com CNAME blenke.staticcling.org

Then I build everything around home.blenke.com.

> If anyone is interested in the Python or Bash script, drop me an email.

Dyndns has irritated me for the last time. I'm tired of feeling like a
child when dealing with their system. Update once, you're ok - but if
you update too often (or not often enough), they treat you as an
abuser or destroy your account. Trying to paste logic around updates
per their rules is far too irritating.

There are other dynamic DNS places on there as well. Myip.org is too
flaky, and Dynip.com isn't free.

If staticcling.org ever goes away I'll probably end up hacking
together my own scripting system to securely update my external
public DNS servers in-place as needed. Then home.blenke.com can
become an A record directly and all will be well.

I've talked with mahlon though, and he's a good guy. I'll stick with
staticcling.org for the time being because of familiarity if nothing
else.

I've yet to find a dynamic DNS update protocol that is properly
encrypted, however. Sending passwords in-the-clear is just wrong.

- Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> <icblenke@nks.net>