Re: [SLUG] Kernel Panix

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 23:10:26 EDT

On Tuesday 24 July 2001 08:54, you wrote:

> Did you have to move any hard drive ribbon cable to get
> at the ram slots? Maybe they were crossed when
> reconnected? It happened to me and it is one of those
> <doh!> moments. what about trying combinations of
> root=/dev/hda1 ... root=/dev/hda2 ... etc at the lilo
> prompt. maybe the kernel thinks your root fs is on
> /dev/hda5, but perhaps it is instead on /dev/hda1.

Well, it's sort of wierd. I didn't move any cables, I just
pulled the old ram out and plugged the new ram in and
powered up.

What I have found is that the simple installation choice
WILL install, but neither the custom or expert versions
will fire up. Apparently there is some code being called in
those two installs that isn't called in the "recommended"
install. With over 1,200 programs being installed under the
expert setting, I can't see doing "trial and error"
searching for the guilty program that barfs on large
quantities of ram.

So, I got the brain - donor install fired up and tonight I
downloaded kernel 2.4.7. I can't believe (still) how fast
that roscoe got here! It came over the cable modem at 680
Kb/s! Next step, obviously, is to compile & install that
kernel and then to download the other programs I need
(Apache, PHP and Postgresql). I can get ApacheToolbox to
install Apache, PHP, MySql automatically. I will have to
manually install Postrgresql.

It will take longer than anticipated, but I can get this
roscoe running again just fine.

Bill

--
Psalms 37:10
And just a little while longer, and the wicked one will be