[SLUG] meetings--just an opinion

From: A2L1 (A2L1@gte.net)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 12:39:57 EDT

These are just some general observations and my opinion,-- my topic will be
that of the SLUG meetings.
 I can only refer to the Dunedin meetings because those are the only ones I
do attend. Although the idea of a presentation at each meeting is nice in
theory it , this may come as a shock to some of you, just doesnt fill the
needs of the group. There are those of us who are very interested in the
topic of discussion and then there are those of us that could care less. Some
people attend to address their specific needs, which can be something as
simple as how do I install Redhat, and to them that is the most important
information to be obtained at this meeting, so to those people setting
procmail is so far down the list they are totally bored and will probably not
attend another meeting.
 What I would suggest is that at the opening of each meeting that an open
question be raised---who needs to addrerss what,or how, and then maybe 3-4
different sessions will be going on at the same time. People who are
interested in the topic of discussion/presentation will attend/observe that
and then the other people, newbies or whatever will be able to solicit help
on their specific problem in some corner/s removed from the discussion with a
member/s of the group that may be able to help them with their particular
problem/need, even a small meeting going on there. After all this is a Linux
club and we should be available to everyone that attends--even the total
newbie and make them as welcomed as possible and help them as much as
possible.
 I welcome the discussion/presentations but do think that people that arent
interested in that specific topic should still be able to attend the meeting
and enjoy/help themselves without sitting through a presentation that has no
meaning/interest to them whatsoever. By opening several different
groups/reagions of the room everyone will be able to recieve the
help/information that they were after and all will feel part of the group as
a whole even though they did not participate/attend the presentation. If we
treat each meeting as a help everyone session rather than this is what we
do(presentation) and how we do it ,if you have a question or a problem we
will try to help AFTER the presentation, if there is time. Then I believe the
meetings will more pleasureable/helpfull and will draw more attendance and
repeat attendance of the first timers.
The meetings are generally of an informal and of a restricted time nature
,and I dont think that several different groups in the other sections of the
room will upset/offend anyone that is truly a SLUG. In this manner every
meeting will be able to address the needs of the entire group and be of
help/enjoyment/satisfaction to all. We will still be able to help/accomadate
everyone and have time for all the pleasntries,raffle,announcements,etc.
    This is the sole opinion of this SLUGer and destop user of Linux--as a
toy not for business-and does not represent the opinion of
SuncoastLinuxUsersGroup their officers and paid staff(like that?)

AJ