Re: [SLUG] TOMSRBT -- How To Fit 2.1M on 1.44M FD?

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 11:46:34 EDT

>> Sorry ... but this really IS a "RTFM" situation. The formatting is
handled
>> for you.
>>
>> Bill
>
>Actually, no.
>
>Read the instructions you quoted (which I read) carefully. The file is
>downloaded to a FD then it is unzipped, or it is unloaded to a PC and
>unzipped and then it executes GNU/Linux and does an install.
>
>The assumption in both cases is that you are doing this on the PC you
>intend to use the Linux on ... not the case in my application, as I noted.
>
>I have downloaded the file to a Win98 PC but have no desire to execute
>Linux on that box, it is compromised enough with Win98 on it ... don't
>even want to think about challenging the stability with a second OS ...
>even Linux!
>
>Anyhow. What the intro to TOMS infers is that one may download to a
>FD, stuff the FD into a PC (Thinkpad laptop in my case) and fire up Linux.
>
>This is clearly not the case and thus I am back to a far more kludgy
>solution (external HDD, external CD, networking the Thinkpad to the
>existing system and hoping there is enough room in the old 360cse to
>sustain a Win98 network long enough to transfer all of the Linux stuff).
>
>> Untar the 2.1 M file on your hard drive, not directly on a floppy and
>> follow instructions, and you will probably be okay. Tom's puts an
>> extended file system and close to 1.7 MB on a 1.4 MB floppy, but I've
>> seen this work. IIRC (it's been a while since I used Tom's) the rest of
>> the download is installers and docs.
>> - Robin
>
>Untar on a Win98 PC? I have WinZip but don't recall a Win app to untar,
>is there one?
>
>Also, what's the likelihood that the ancient Thinkpad FDD will recognize a
>1.7M format of a 1.44M FDD? When the TOMS thing formatted a FD in
>my modern desktop the FD was declared unreadible!
>
>Thanks! Doc

DOC Perhaps this will clear things up for you.

1. a 1.44 floppy can actually be formatted with a 1.44 drive to the capacity
of 1.72 megs.
This is done with what is a Extended format with DOS 6.22 and Win Dos MODE
you can use a
 DMF format with IBMDos it is XMF .

ALL 1.44 floppy drives can read this except if you are using dos 6.12 or
less

If you want you can also download a program called win image this is a
shareware util.
You will see what you can do with this.

Download pkunzip for dos you can find this if you a search.

If you are downloading this using I.E. in WIndows when you download it to
save this I would
create a directory in the C: \ root directory called TRB for Toms Root Boot.

Next put in a floppy disk use the win image program do a format 1.72
extended format.

now then go to start shutdown and restart in msdos mode.

once there cd \ enter then you will have the c:\ prompt now cd \trb

now while you are in there use the md for make directory call it floppy

now then use the pkunzip file name c:\floppy this will then extract the
files to the
c:\trb\floppy directory

next type in cd \floppy
now then type install a: now your disk will be created if you follow the
directions.

you will have plenty of disk space and now you will have a bootable disk

Basically another variation of this mentioned below.

Next after you download toms root boot , DOS installation) Pkunzip it
If you are running Windows-95 or 98 , do "shutdown and restart in msdos
mode".
You have to be in really-DOS mode. Not a DOS session under Windows-95.
CD to the directory you pkunzipped it into.d) "install".

(This boots a GNU/Linux with prompts to make the diskette.)
This is for installing tomsrtbt from a DOS/Windows system.
If you have problems, boot with no config.sys or autoexec.bat.
Note, this creates the *exact same floppy* as the GNU/Linux installer.