Re: [SLUG] TOMSRBT -- How To Fit 2.1M on 1.44M FD?

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 13:44:00 EDT

On Monday 30 July 2001 10:48, you wrote:
> > Sorry ... but this really IS a "RTFM" situation. The formatting is
> > handled for you.
> >
> > Bill
>
> Actually, no.
>
> Read the instructions you quoted (which I read) carefully.

An unreadable floppy is usually just a bum floppy ... unless it is a
mechanical problem with the drive itself ... such as heads no longer in
alignment or dirty heads. If the heads on a drive have drifted, they may be
writing _between_ the standardized locations for the tracks. This means that
this drive will be the only one able to read disks it has created. If the
heads have sufficient play in them, even _this_ head may have trouble reading
diskettes it has written.

Just give the instructions an actual try (as I did just a few minutes ago on
my wife's WIN 98 machine.). I promise that, if you follow the instructions in
the faq, tomsrtbt will not install Linux anywhere but the floppy in a: drive.

If you want to plug that laptop into a network of any sort I can heartily
recommend taking a look at pocket-linux instead of tomsrtbt. Pocket linux
will automate the process of logging on to the network. Potentially, this
could pave the way for your laptop to use all the hardware and files attached
to your larger computers.

You can find Pocket-linux at ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/distributions/tinylinux/
and other fine retail outlets. :-)

Alternately, I am willing to snail-mail you the floppy I just created on my
wife's machine if you agree to buy my son (a SLUG member) and his girlfriend
dinner at a nice restaurant. (At least $25 for two meals).

He has something important scheduled for today and I think it would be nice
if I bought them dinner out. :-)

Bill