Re: [SLUG] XF86Config (formerly FX86Config)

From: Travis Walls (twalls@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 21:33:43 EDT

Andrew Wyatt wrote:

> Hi mike!
>
> reboot, at lilo type: linux 3
>
> when you get into linux, run Xconfigurator again, and let it work it's magic, I sometimes have to pick generic hardware to get it to work as it's kind of picky .. if you do get a working Xconfig make a backup of it (if you put it in ~ make sure you rename it or X will use that instead of /etc/X11/XF86Config)
>
> Andrew

> From: "Mikes work account" <mrock@stewartsigns.com>
> Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 13:10:04 -0400
>
>> Is there a default FX86Config file? My Box will not complete the boot
>> process and bring me to a desktop, it just hangs after the last module, in
>> which case this is the samba daemons, and leaves me with a blank screen.
>> Since I can use the previous monitor without problems, I can assume it is
>> the XF86Config file that is bad( different monitors). I tried editing the
>> XF,, file without success and now need to use the xconfigurator to probe and
>> set values.
>>
>> Michael C. Rock

It has been my experience that Red Hat's Xconfigurator doesn't work too
well with XFree86 4.x. If you are indeed using an XF86 4.x server to
support your video card, you will need to either run xf86config
(text-based but gets the job done) or salvage your previous setup by
just editing only the monitor parameters in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, note
that this is different from /etc/X11/XF86Config (old 3.3.x format). If
you adjust your settings in the 4.x format file and still no go, try
mv'ing your 3.3.x format file to a backup file by typing mv
/etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config~ and then retry X. You can find
out what version of X you are using by looking for the log file in /var/log.

Best wishes,
Travis