Re: [SLUG] LimeWire and SuSe

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 20:20:12 EDT

You need the latest Sun JRE installed. The one that comes with SuSE 7.1
is too old for the latest LimeWire and the earlier LimeWire (or java
jre) is too slow to be usable. The latest one is ok.

I installed JRE 1.3.1 to go with LimeWire 1.6b. I had to remove the
link (/usr/lib/java) that pointed to the old /usr/lib/jre1.1.8 and
create a new one that pointed to jre1.3.1. After that everything ran
reasonably fast.

I also use the commandline gnut gnutella client. It takes a little
getting used to but it's WAY faster than LimeWire. The web interface
helps a lot.

For what it's worth I got a freenet client working too. It's basicly a
server proxy running on your own machine that you access via a web
browser. It then accesses the freenet network and serves up html to
your browser. You can even click on freenet "keys" (the freenet version
of URLs) on the html page and it will fetch them. Neat. You get source
with freenet. Also with gnut.

Ed.