RE: [SLUG] Insight on Code Red II

From: Wyly Wade (wyly.wade@forefrontinc.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 15:00:18 EDT

I think there is some miss conception about where my stance is on the
strengths of linux and where I put my support. I spend 80% of my time in
a linux or bsd based system and 90+% of the code that I write runs on
one of many unix derivatives. I prefer freebsd over most (bsd or linx
distros) although I have been playing with plan9 a lot lately and have
found some great advantages to kfs.

Your crass and immature comments do not affect me... although I would
invite mature conversation.

My favorite exploits that I have been using lately are a lot of session
hijacking and zone transfer exploits. Also I will be releasing a paper
in about two months through Guardent (www.guardent.com) about a
technique that very effectively maps out the internal structure of
networks regardless of firewalls and circumvents IDS systems.

While I do agree with the statement about the amount of bugs in windows.
There are a considerable a mount more but I still stand by there are few
that will provide you a command line level or root level remote access
to a windows machine (that maybe because I do not use windows often).

As far as the monolithic security of a windows machine it is an issue it
is one of many issues that have problems. Another that is significant is
the lacking of level 0 kernel mode security check thus allowing a rouge
dll to do anything.

One of my biggest issue with both windows and linux systems currently is
the everlasting password/password hash. I have been working on a single
use hash structure.

wt