Re: [SLUG] Newbie needs help with fax software

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 18:55:35 EDT

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 03:04:35PM -0400, Smitty wrote:

> I suggest you buy the distro with the documentation. SuSE has documentation
> on setting up the faxing utilities. I assume mandrake does as well. It
> should answer all or most of your questions.
> Smitty
>
> On Tuesday 14 August 2001 10:37, you wrote:
> > I am currently using Linux-Mandrake 7.2 I have
> > downloaded and tried to install everything from
> > hylafax to send2fax to efax. I just can't figure out
> > what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Dan

FWIW, you're welcome to ask questions on the list, regardless of whether
you have distro docs or not. That's what we're here for. Of course, I
can't guarantee we can answer them. ;-} The reason you haven't heard
anyone mention faxing from Linux may be that no one does. The software's
there, so people obviously do it, but maybe not people on this list.
Usually, when I switch distros, I sign up for the mailing list for that
distro. I imagine Mandrake's probably got one, so you might try those
folks as well.

You didn't say the specific types of difficulties you're running into.
For example, can you dial out with the modem but just not send faxes?
Does the setup for the software run without incident? What does the
software say when you try to send a fax?

Paul