Re: [SLUG] Re: Progeny -- Laptop Sound

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 10:58:04 EDT

those would be in /dev

It appears your chip takes the cs4232 module. This is what the docs for
my kernel source says about that module

To configure the Crystal CS423x sound chip and activate its DSP
functions,
modules may be loaded in this order:

        modprobe sound
        insmod ad1848
        insmod uart401
        insmod cs4232 io=* irq=* dma=* dma2=*

This is the meaning of the parameters:

        io--I/O address of the Windows Sound System (normally 0x534)
        irq--IRQ of this device
        dma and dma2--DMA channels (DMA2 may be 0)

On some cards, the board attempts to do non-PnP setup, and fails. If
you
have problems, use Linux' PnP facilities.

To get MIDI facilities add

        insmod opl3 io=*

where "io" is the I/O address of the OPL3 synthesizer. This will be
shown
in /proc/sys/pnp and is normally 0x388.

scott