Re: [SLUG] RH 7.1, Win 98, and Samba

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 15:38:00 EDT

<Snip>

> You _are_ able to ping numerically, which means your connection is fine
> and so on. The problem is that you do not have an entry in the LMHOSTS
> file in Windows for that machine.

The file is definitely there. That I can vouch for that.

As far as being configured correctly, I think so, well at least partly so -
maybe. I did followed instructions and I did installed it but I must be
missing something because the computer refuses to recognize it. In fact I
posted my lmhosts file on the slug list 2 days ago.

Thanks for verifying what I suspected when I sent the message. The operative
word here is suspected. I just was not certain if I have a problem of if it
was acting correctly. The short is I defiantly have a problem; a settings
problem or an OS program problem I do not know yet but there is a definite
problem of unknown magnitude.

I can ping both from the win box machines by the following addresses:
lan_sys_opt 192.168.1.1
lan_user 192.168.1.2
Then I tried names:
ping lan_user
and I observed that it did not ping 192.168.1.2 but did ping 169.254.59.246
ping lan_sys_opt
the computer tries to dial out into the internet. If you cancel that it says
address not found.

> That should resolve the inability to ping by name.
>
> Paul

Thanks for the help.
You have definitely verified which machine has the problem so now I know what
to work on.

This is of course definitely not a Linux problem.

Thanks
Frank