[SLUG] Re:Laptops

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 08:11:55 EDT

   Hello Ed,
The Ones that I know seem to work the best are the Compaq Persario which I
have , The Dell's
both Inspirion, and the Latitudes, and the IBM ThinkPad's.

Me and Diana have a Persario , Running S.u.S.E. 7.2
A Dell Latitude CPX running Stormix,
A new Think Pad I series running Mandrake 8.0

The Compaq which I have always hated the Brand actually makes a good work
horse Linux Laptop.
I first Loaded Stormix which worked fine , then went to Mandrake 7.2 sound
did not work , then I went to S.u.S.E. 7.0
Worked Fine then Went to Mandrake 8.0 beta worked good then full version ,
then I went to S.u.S.E. 7.1 and now S.u.S.E. 7.2
No problems at all except the on board modem but I have found man pages on
setting them up. Really don't need the modem if
I do I can use a 3com pcmcia one.

The Latitude Corel 2.0, Mandrake 7.0- 8.0 , Redhat 6.2 - 7.1, Stormix Rain-
Hail <-Currently installed , Progeny , Debian ,
S.u.S.E. 7.1 all set up fine except with the Corel - the Commercial O.S.S.
with the Deluxe is too old to support the sound but
everything else works fine.

Think Pad i series No problem with almost any distro have throwed at this
machine.

Now as for Sony Viao's I wanted one badly and even was seconds from buying
one when everyone was sold out of the one I wanted.
Then as I did some research It started to sound like a blessing. How ever
the Sony had the best looking display and had a nice sound
setup and weighed and looked the nicest I am glad that I actually got the
Compaq.

For Years I have allways hated and still do 99% of their products but the
Persario Laptop is made well works fine decent battery life and
extremly great sound form a JBL speaker setup on board. The one reason I
took this was because Derek told me how well they work and
that they seem to hold up. Also the Price!

I think dollar for dollar though Dell is the best the warranty and service.
Just now do not mention the Linux word to them as they no longer support it
on the desktop and laptop's , only servers unless you are a fortune 500
company account. This I know as the company I work for we can still get
them. The Dell rep we have knows me and keeps asking me when will I get a
New Inspirion I told him when they allow me to get it with the features I
want and not pre determinded from a few things. THey give more choices on
the same machine for windoze then Linux.
Hince the most expensive they can make it for Linux.

Hope this helps.

F.Y.I. Ian has a cool mini Viao though running Linux very cool.

Bill Preece