Re: [SLUG] Example: Linux Terminal Server Project

From: Brett Simpson (Simpsonb@hillsboroughcounty.org)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 14:18:23 EDT

A year ago I talked with a sysadmin from largo who was mentioning they were going to implement terminals. But at the time I didn't think it could be pulled off politically wise do to my experience with Hillsborough County. But hey I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong.

>>> rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com 08/28/01 01:46PM >>>
The City of Largo's Linux-based terminal-server network was brought to
the attention of this list several weeks ago and a follow-up article by
Robin Miller

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/08/10/1441239

gave it national (?world) attention. Here's another article about Largo
published since then:

http://www.consultingtimes.com/Largo.html

It appears these sys admins in Largo have been at it for a number of
years and have pieced together something very special that will
hopefully be considered and adopted elsewhere in schools, government,
and in the business sector. As I understand it, there is a project that
has been going on since last year that would simplify the setup of a
terminal-server network - here are some links:

http://www.ltsp.org/index.php
http://www.k12ltsp.org/

While checking out those sites, there was this link to a cool adaptation
of LTSP:

http://www.cdp1802.org/touch/

A mobile version of this might be a great SLUG project and a nice
demonstration at future SLUG booths!

-Robert "Big Idea" Haeckl