Re: [SLUG] Inexpensive Tape Drive

From: Bill Ehlert (Ehlerts@SoftHome.net)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 17:23:39 EDT

Kevin,

I'd love to get a Plextor PX-W2410TA, a 24x-write drive. I've got an 8x HP
now and use it to transfer files less that 700 MB. I could not bear the
agony of using it to backup 8 to 10 Gigs every week. I'm too old for that.
:-(

I noticed that you mentioned your dad's law office. I assist my best friend,
who is a dentist, in backing up his office files every day. He has a 20 Gig
Linux server now that is used to store patient records and digital dental
Xray images. We tried the CD jockey thing for about a month last year, and
the office manager flipped and nearly quit. Now she backs up every day using
the hard drive cartridge in 5 min or so and is VERY happy. She even offers
candy to me now, when I visit the dental office. Guess she likes to see me
:-)

The dentist keeps 6 hard drive cartidge and rotates them, pulling the 6th
for montly saves. Now for the cool stuff - he takes the backup offsite, as
in home, with him every day and brings in an old drive back in the morning
to be updated. He pops the backup in his home computer and verifies files.
Here's the really good part - If a patient calls with an emergency after
office hours, he has all their records and Xray images at home! He know what
was done and uses the information to help his patients. I love it when that
happens.

The CD route may be just what you and your dad need, but be aware that over
time 700 MB CDs will be a pain. We are thinking of going to a 80 Gig server
and bigger harddrives in the next year or so. Remember to plan on future
growth, especially in a law office.

Good luck,
Bill