Re: [SLUG] Largo How-To? (was Example: Linux Terminal ServerProject)

From: Andrew Wyatt (awyatt@intergate.cx)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 16:13:59 EDT

From: "Brett Simpson" <Simpsonb@hillsboroughcounty.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:47:23 -0400

>I was able to get a 486 33mhz with 16mb of ram connected as a terminal to my redhat 7.1 server with 700mhz processor and 384mb of ram. Speed was fast for a 486 but slower than a pentium. The graphics were small but all I had was a vga card in it. I'm sure a pentium with a svga video card would be much better. Overall it worked great. I just need to figure out how to get a local printer working on the terminal.

>There is some information in the writeups on largo's system but not
>explicit details. However, there is some good documentation on setting
>up a terminal-server system at the LTSP site. I've got a few boxes here
>at home and hope to get a server and terminal set up soon. I'd really
>like to have one of the terminals set up with a touch screen - I think
>it would be a great demonstration at a future SLUG booth. Would be more
>fun if I could get some others involved and make it a group project.
>Any interest?
>
>-Robert

I have setup linux terminals a few times, including configuring remote sound with esd.. (full X -broadcast,partial with rsh, etc) I'm currently trying to get a broadband adapter for my DC, and then I plan to start hacking at a dreamcast terminal client <G> 640x480, but I can live with that ;-)

Andrew