Re: [SLUG] file transfer

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 16:03:52 EDT

\"Robin \\\"Roblimo\\\" Miller\" wrote:
> What I want is an external CD/R drive that'll work with both
> Linux and Mac. That would serve both my file transfer *and*
> backup needs.
> With blank CDs down in the sub-$2 price range, it seems like
> the best and cheapest solution to me.
> Anybody have any make/model suggestions?

SCSI, any model. The thing I like about SCSI is that it is
pertually compatible. E.g., My parents just bought a brand new
parallel scanner that is not Windows ME compatible.

As IEEE1394 Firewire takes off (no thanx to Intel, hopefully AMD/ViA
will change that soon), it will replace SCSI and making cabling
easier. IEEE1394 support comes stock with kernel 2.4 and many Macs
sport it as well.

If you go USB, which is anything _but_ a "standard" (so expect
compatibility issues) you won't get past 4x. You'd probably be
better off with select parallel burners for Linux, but that doesn't
help you with a Mac.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413