Re: [SLUG] This is disgusting....

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 16:46:19 EDT

Anita Pesola wrote:
> Check this info out....I'm upset...VERY upset....

As a Libertarian, I think the government is the problem in the first
place. If they really want to make Microsoft pay, they should
switch to OSS products themselves, not stoop to lawsuits on "behalf
of consumers." Besides, PC OEMs have only themselves to blame for
much of this. There is no free lunch.

And I really don't think Bush has much to do with all this. It is
the media making a very weak link -- I'm sorry, but it's the truth.
Just two months ago, a Bush spokeperson was quoted to saying that
Microsoft was found to have broken the law, and that the Bush
administration would see action taken against them for that
violation.

So, from what I've seen, little has changed. Judge Jackson was
rebuked, and the break-up verdict was going to be overturned
anyway. From my standpoint, every remedy I've seen is useless. I
think the best remedy would be to force the GNU Toolchain on
Microsoft, which would let everyone win in the end, even Microsoft.
But trying to explain that to most people just makes their eyes
roll.

As far as "product tying," people keep looking at the wrong things.
I could care less about a digital photo editing program going into
XP. But I *DID* care about the merger of MS-DOS 7.0 and Windows 4.0
into a single product called Windows 95. And I care about
announcing products 4+ years in advance ... let alone some _never_
ship (remember "Cairo"?).

Worse yet, we have hypocrites in our own user groups. Many still
use Microsoft Internet Explorer as their main browser even though it
prefers to use its proprietary tags over standard ones.

If you want Microsoft to go away, remember that "the customer is
always right".
  - Use Open Source products yourself, even on Windows
  - Be vigilant in your search of OSS applications and replacements
-- many exist where you currently use commercial products
  - Urge the government to adopt OSS, rather than lawsuits

Use Linux on the desktop. Otherwise, Linux only on the server will
result in the same fate as Novell.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413