Re: [SLUG] Need some help

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 11:39:03 EDT

What I would do is just use a rescue disk (I know you can use some of the
install CDs to boot into a shell, or you can get a shell from the install)
then mount your linux partition where the kernel is and rerun lilo (assuming
that you use lilo as your boot loader)

say your linux root partition is on /dev/hda3. After you get a shell from a
rescue disk or install CD, then

mkdir a
mount /dev/hda3 a
chroot a
cd /
lilo
exit
cd /
umount a

then shutdown and try your normal boot again. If you have a boot partition
where your kernel is, you'll have to mount that also so lilo can find the
kernel image (mount it into /boot on the previously mounted root partition
- mount /dev/hda4 a/boot for the above example issued right after the
first mount command)

    scott