Re: [SLUG] PDF Encryption

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 09:20:04 EDT

Russell Hires wrote:
> I've never heard of an encrypted PDF before. I imagine that if you try to
> open it in Windows that it will still be encrypted? It can't be PDF if it's
> encrypted... :-| It's not portable that way...

There are various encryption approaches. In addition to the
infamous E-book, there are ways to encrypt it so the underlying
Postscript cannot be edited and/or extracted. Surprisingly, the new
pdftex utility (for those of us that do our documentation in TeX,
usually c/o LyX) now allows you to create such files.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith    mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer   AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org