Re: [SLUG] PDF Encryption

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 14:49:42 EDT

Jason Copenhaver wrote:
> Maybe I misunderstood.. All he said was that this was an encrypted pdf.
> I pointed him to software that would be able to decrypt it.. wether he had
> forgotten the password or whatever..

Really? I thought you still had to have the passphrase to "unlock"
an E-book with Elcomsoft's software?

Again, note, there are different forms of encrypted PDF's -- the
E-book is just one. A few others are largely for just content
protection (i.e. so one cannot edit or copy large sections), but are
still freely viewable.

> I did not mean to imply that reading any encrypted pdf was a violation
> of the DMCA..

And I'm telling you that E-books aren't the only type of encrypted
PDF.

> (next time I'll spend an extra minute or two reading the post before
> replying though... so misunderstanding doesn't occur =) )

Exactomundo. ;-PPP

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413