Re: [SLUG] Formating HD

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 15:29:29 EDT

On Wednesday 31 December 1969 07:00 pm, Andrew Wyatt wrote:
> From: "Grantham, Patrick" <Patrick.Grantham@vacationclub.com>
> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:50:20 -0400
>
> >I think this thread started when someone asked for a recommendation on how
> >to create "images" of the entire HD using a bootable diskette and an
> >application akin to symantec's norton ghost and a w9x boot diskette.
>
> I've done something along these lines in the past. At Simon Property Group,
> I designed an "imaging system" of various GNU components. I built a good
              <SNIP>

Actually the thread started with one of my stupid misconstrued Linux
questions. I just did not phrase it correctly.

Basically the idea was that I am attempting to learn to install RH 7.1 on my
home test system. Having done this about 20 times I am getting to the point
where I am beginning to understand how to install the system of sorts. The of
sorts comes about because things which I will explain after I am sure that I
know what I am sayind simply do not work the way I would expect. Either this
is because of my lack of understanding or because some one pulled a fast one.
I lean toward the latter on this one issue.

Anyway the initial past simply ask if there was any way to remove all
vestages of linux from a hard drive?

What I had in mind when I posted that was a command sequence similar to the
old dos 2.X or 3.X command "format c:" (Yes I am old enough to remember and
to have worked on pre IBM desk top systems like CP/M.) The initial post did
not specify an operating system. In fact I do not care what operating system
it uses. It would be nice it it fitted on a floppie like Tom's Recovery so
that one could simply flop it in to the old floppy and maybe re-boot and the
whip the HD out in a safe manor so that I could began the next installation
test.

Why do you want to completely clean the HD? Simple it appears once RH is once
installed sequential installations assume that the configuration files should
be utilized. This appears to be especially true of Lilo. I could solve the
problem simply by inserting a Mandrake disk in and installing Mandrake. This
does appear to wipe RH out but that creates a problem. In order to do that I
have to have a later edition of Mandrake since the edition I have is not
compatible with my current video card.

What I would like to know is how this simple post got converted into a
question concerning image creation and / or the idea that removing linux from
a HD had anything to do with installing MS on a computer? My assumption in
posting this question to the MS list was that the MS/Linux people would be
more familiar with the idea or removing linux than the linux people.

My latest craze idea is to take the HD to retail merchant and see if the tag
removal machine will do the job. They use-to.

The one thing that I am certain about though is that I will not post the same
question to both groups again. Even if it is another generatic non OS
specific question.

Thanks
Frank