Re: [SLUG] at-home cops, evading the

From: Mark (mark@bish.net)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 14:34:29 EDT

I would use a high port, even a port already used by a well known service
such as 6667. Nothing can keep them from dissassembling the packets and
finding out what is really being transferred but I believe in the laziness
of the common man and don't believe they will try this. When you give out
the URLs they will just have to include the port number.

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Bill wrote:

<snip>

> I have crawled all over the com_cast-at-home web site and can not find a
> plan that will permit this. I thought, from the way the sales techie
> spoke, that I was getting this right; but the TOS agreement says
> otherwise. I want the experience of running a web site from home ... to be
> able to point an employer to it as proof of competence.

I would then just use any of the freely avail websites if that is all you
want to do.

> I have a static address into a router, a spare machine with nic etc,
> Mandrake 8.0 and Apache loaded & working. I BRIEFLY opened port 80
> --built into the Linksys router-- and had my son grab a page I had placed
> there ... it all works ... then closed the port down again.

There are a few things that you can do depending on what the linksys can
do.

1) Translate the traffic from one interface to another using high ports

2) Port forwarding, but I wouldn't recommend this if you are trying to
get around the cops.

> Since I can not find a way to do this openly, I am looking for a way to
> evade their detection software. It seems I should be able to coax Apache
> into listening on a high port and passing that port address around the
> family. Maybe someone knows of a different method or can tell me why this
> one won't work?

There is no coaxing about it. It's one line in a conf file.

| Mark Bishop (mark@bish.net) | Computer Engineer |
| 813.258.2390 | Network Engineer |
| http://bish.net | Embedded Programmer |