Re: FW: [SLUG] A hardware challenge!-- mine works!

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 19:11:18 EDT

seth wrote:

> I forwarded this to you directly as my replys are not coming up on the
> list.
> Seth

Thanks for the response.

No, but I can download their source for the sound card driver...

> but it can be done. Another thought- there is a company that buys these from
> the original manufacturer and markets them as linux laptops
> here is the latest place selling them
> http://www.qlitech.net/products/laptops/emperor.html
>
> they might have a solution!

I've never had much luck getting people to support a competitor's (Dell)
product. Understandable. I would have preferred to buy from a Linux
supportive vendor but they wanted double for the same machine.

Ed.

> You wouldn't happen to know how to get the pcmcia module tulip_cb working
> for my nic would ya? ;)

Sorry, no, I'm using a linksys pcmcia card. Went to some trouble to get
it as I have used them before and KNOW that they work. Just plug and
go, cardmgr knows if you pop it in and out and automagically sets up the
network.

> thanks for that great link, best one yet for the 5000e!

Glad to pass it along. I plan to make a page detailing my adventure and
submit it to linux-laptop.net

> Seth
> seth@hollen.org

Yes I do. He sounds like he's already done the work. Mandrake may have
picked it up (see above).

If he still needs a tester, I happen to be running 2.2.18 as he
requests.

Thanks for the info.

Ed.