Re: [SLUG] Ist of a dozen questions

From: Robert Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 01:00:24 EDT

Bob Foxworth wrote:

> > > Bill wrote:
> > . I have
> > It
> >

> > . Reboot to SuSE and
> > > the system clock is off something like 4 hours. Shutdown and reboot.
> > > Check
> > > time in bios again and it is off something like 47 minutes. Boot into
> > > Windoze and the time is the same as the bios clock. Off by the 47
> > > minutes.
> > > Shutdown again and reboot into SuSE and the system clock is again off
> > > that
> > > same 4 hours plus.
> > >

> > This problem sounds somehow strangly familiar. Did you by chance select
> > to use
> > GMT as your time standard during the SUSE install. That would account for
> > the
> > 4 hour difference between the two OSes if one is using EST and the other
> > is
> > using GMT as its time standard.
> >
> My thoughts ..(1) he said straightaway that he tried UTC.
> Keep in mind that UTC, for our purposes == GMT. (UTC just corrects
> GMT for
> small errors in the spin wobble of the earth's axis, etc. It is a
> synthesis of
> UT0 corrected by adjustments for UT1 and UT2). (2) This would
> account
> for only whole-hour intervals, and doesn't address anywhere the 47
> minute error.
> (3) your 4 hour offset is correct for eastern DAYLIGHT time. When
> you compare
> EST to UTC, the difference is 5 hours, not 4.
>
> If it were up to me I would get a HW diagnostic like Quick-tech-Pro
> or similar
> and run a diag on the RTC. Failing that I would just file-13 the
> board and get
> another one..

Bob

Thanx for your comments. Think I have the "47 minute" problem solved.
You know
that little box that says "restore session" in KDE?? I think that is
also
restoring the last time it was used. Been turning that off and on to see
what
happens. Will let the list know about that.

Still have that 4 hour problem though, and no matter what time zone I
specify
it will revert to the 4 hours difference.

Quick-tech-Pro...what is... and where do I find this ?

Bob S.