[SLUG] Funky printer problem

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 21:17:41 EDT

Okay ... I'm baffled.
A couple weeks ago my Epson Stylus Color 600 decided to print only the
bottom half of lines of text so I changed the black cartridge and printing
resumed more or less normally. At my house, "normal" is an elusive goal.
:-)

Then early last week it decided it would print only from web browsers. The
new cartridge has seen perhaps 20 pages worth of printing, including one
5x7 photo. Text sent from other sources would not print. It did not matter
whether I sent it via lpr or through CUPS.

A couple days ago, it decided it was only going to print SOME graphics
from SOME sources. For instance, from a browser it will print the gifs
(but not png or jpg) appearing therein (the Google logo prints; but not
the rest of the page). However, using either Electric Eyes or GIMP, I am
unable to print a *.gif at all.

In no case does the text appearing anywhere appear on the printed page,
although 1) the print head makes the appropriate noises and motions and 2)
there is a nearly new black cartridge installed.

Okay ... assume that I am starting from zero knowledge (that's close
enough to true for all practical purposes :-/ ) and lay it on me ...
what's happening and how do I fix it?

Bill

--
icq # 126373831 http://www.anhonestdesire.com

"Thou shalt not kill" is a moral absolute.