Re: [SLUG] Why won't an app run from icon?

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 18:34:28 EDT

Russ Wright wrote:
> If I open a shell window and cd to the application directory
> ie: "cd /usr/lib/ICAClient" and type "./wfcmgr" the app starts.
> I decided to create a KDE desktop Icon to do the same. I linked
> it to the same file but it does not start. Any thoughts?

Yeah, what stupid UNIX program needs to be in a certain directory to
start? That's a Windows'ism that is frowned upon. The only time
I've seen that happen is for programs ported with WINE (is the
ICAClient?).

So I'm sure that is your problem, unless you're setting a change
directory in your icon. I don't use KDE, but Gnome has a field on a
second tab in the properties called "Try this before running:" where
I can put a "cd path". Another way to tame this would to create a
simple shell script in /usr/local/bin (or wherever) that has two
lines, the cd and the binary.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413