Re: [SLUG] Need Help with VPN on Linux

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 04:18:21 EDT

Russ Wright wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I looked through the links. Most of them are for
> setting up a linux VPN server and attaching with Windows. I am looking to do
> the opposite. Go from my Linux box, into an NT network through VPN.
> Perhaps this topic does not exist?

No, it does. But it depends on your NT VPN.

If you are using ultra-crappy/cracker-friendly (especially in
version 1.x) Microsoft PPTP (point-to-point tunneling protocol),
Linux supports that. If you run RedHat, there is a "pptpd" (PPTP
daemon) RPM on the Powertools CD (at least in 7.0/7.1) that you want
to install. It installs a service in the /etc/inittab
(initialization/boot-time config file) that is used to connect to
the remote system on startup.

After installing, look or the docs in /usr/share/pptp-* to help you
get started.

If you are using a 3rd party VPN, it will depend on the
implementation. For IPSEC, FreeS/WAN (http://www.freeswan.org) is a
kernel module and associated user utility that will add a "tripple
DES"-only (they refused to support normal DES because they feel it
isn't strong enough) IPSEC support that is fairly interoperable with
various products like McAfee PGPnet, various Checkpoint products,
etc...

Personally, I don't like to use anything that doesn't support the
Blowfish (or Twofish) cipher (which is fast and more secure IMHO).
I also don't like "all access" VPNs like most VPNs are because they
open your corporate network to all exploits your home/remote users
have. But I'll leave that debate for another time.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer   AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.   http://www.linux-wlan.org