Re: [SLUG] Scary Tina!

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 10:47:55 EDT

Ed Centanni wrote:

> Day-o, Da..aa..ay-o.
> Daylight come an' me wan' log on.
>
> Hey, Mistah Hackah mon,
> Steal-ah me banana,
>
> Daylight come an' me wan' log on.

heehee

> Wat dis all about?!
> Don' make me get Miz Cleo workin' on de case o' de Scary Hackah mon!

This guy was ranting and raving at the Expo the last couple of days as
one of the "special guest speakers" for a bit called "Inside the mind of
a hacker." Basically his presentation was a lot of gobbledeygook
catchphrases liberally sprinkled with bad clipart of mostly-nekkid
wimmen. He sounded exactly like the hollywood stereotype of a "bad
hacker man" which set big warning flags up when I heard him raving.
Tina wrote the article and I couldn't resist making fun of him some
more.

Last night I did a little more searching around the 'net for more info
on "Captain Zap" or "Ian Murphy" and about all I can find is the same
old PR sentence about him being the "first hacker arrested for computer
crime" and how the movie "Sneakers" is based on his life or something or
other. I also found out he claims to employ "7 to 10 of the top hackers
in the world" to test people's security and charges people $800 a day to
do security audits. However, I have found not a single piece of useful
information with his name on the byline other than some extremely dated
hype writing about Tempest type equipment that looks like something a
Jr. High Schooler cut-n-pasted from Phrack.

I'd really expect someone who's a security expert to have some actual
real technical security information out there, even if it IS only an
article in Phrack. But he apparently can't be bothered to even write a
whitepaper about how to use his drag-n-drop Win2K virus tools. (coz
he's too '1337 probably...)

I then tried to visit his homepage (I forget what the domain was now)
and couldn't get DNS. I did some poking around and found out that a)
he's not even hosting his own services (super hacker man doesn't know
how to do DNS?) but the guy he's got doing has his DNS completely
borked.

As if that weren't bad enough, in searching around I also also found
some relationships between him and Ms. Cynthia Meinel, who is to the
computer security and hacker world what an Enquirer story writer is to
journalism, and between him and Antionline, which is a website that is
to the computer and security and hacker world what the Enquirer is to
journalism. (Except that at least Ms. Meinel and Mr. "Antionline"
Vranesevich can set up their own DNS services...) The entire
"legitimate" computer security world, and most of the underground black-
and white-hat brand of hackers ALL hold Ms. Meinel and Mr. Vranesevich
and Antionline in the lowest possible esteem, if they even consider them
at all. Being attached to those names is about the worst thing a
so-called "hacker" could do for his/her rep.

IM(not at all)HO, this guy sprang a lucky script-kiddie crack at the
very beginning of script-kiddie-dom, got caught for it, turned lecturer,
and has been riding that train ever since. (To the tune of $200K a year
if he's to be believed.)

As Bruce Schneier might say, "If it looks, smells and acts like snake
oil, it's probably snake oil." Guy's a loser...

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
$_='while(read+STDIN,$_,2048){$a=29;$b=73;$c=142;$t=255;@t=map
{$_%16or$t^=$c^=($m=(11,10,116,100,11,122,20,100)[$_/16%8])&110;
$t^=(72,@z=(64,72,$a^=12*($_%16-2?0:$m&17)),$b^=$_%64?12:0,@z)
[$_%8]}(16..271);if((@a=unx"C*",$_)[20]&48){$h=5;$_=unxb24,join
"",@b=map{xB8,unxb8,chr($_^$a[--$h+84])}@ARGV;s/...$/1$&/;$d=
unxV,xb25,$_;$e=256|(ord$b[4])<<9|ord$b[3];$d=$d>>8^($f=$t&($d
>>12^$d>>4^$d^$d/8))<<17,$e=$e>>8^($t&($g=($q=$e>>14&7^$e)^$q*
print+x"C*",@a}';s/x/pack+/g;eval

usage: qrpff 153 2 8 105 225 < /mnt/dvd/VOB_FILENAME \ | extract_mpeg2 | mpeg2dec -

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/ http://www.eff.org/ http://www.anti-dmca.org/ http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/293/5537/2028