Re: [SLUG] First of a Dozen Questions -Solved

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 03:09:39 EDT

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 10:14 pm, Ed Centanni wrote that:
> Bob Stia wrote:
> > Hello Sluggers,
> >
> > Am still fighting my time problem. Am also subscribed to the SuSE
> > mailing list and have posted to that list several times regards this
> > problem. No luck. <snip>

Your reply:

> Here's what I know about this situation.
>
> 1. There's a bug in SuSE's /etc/rc.d/boot script that will cause the
> system clock to NOT be set to the hardware clock on boot. The bug has
> been there for several releases that I know of. (anybody at SuSE
> listening?!)

I knew it !!! I knew it had to be a bug !!! And....no, probably nobody at
Suse is following this list. I know they follow the SLE list though, and with
your permission I will post your reply to me.

You are a genius Ed. You can't know how many hours I have struggled with
this problem. I followed your directions and it works like a charm. I booted
and rebooted at least 4 times. I wish you could have seen the smile on my
face. You must have spent many countless hours running this down.
Thank You, thank you !!

Over on the SLE list when I suggested it had to be a bug of some kind in
Suse I was all about shouted down.

> At boot time the PATH doesn't seem to include /sbin and some commands
> have to be invoked by
> their full path name. Notice all the commands in the boot script that
> begin with /sbin... Look in /etc/rc.d/boot for the shell variable
> CLOCKCMD. You'll probably see something like:
>
> CLOCKCMD=hwclock
>
> change it to
>
> CLOCKCMD=/sbin/hwclock
>
> For good measure I also put the line "/sbin/hwclock --hctosys" in
> /etc/rc.d/boot.local.
>
> Alternatively (to changing your boot script) you can put a link in /bin
> that points to hwclock or copy the executable from /sbin to /bin.
>
> Now go into yast and go to "System Administration", then select "Change
> Configuration File".
> Scroll down or search for the GMT entry. This value of this entry is
> given to the hwclock command as an additional argument and can be
> anything that hwclock accepts. It should be blank (Current value
> <> ) if your bios clock is set to local time. Be warned that hwclock
> can get squirrely (not act as expected) even with no additional options
> if you *previously* specified certain options. From the man pages:
>
> "If you specify neither --utc nor --localtime , the
> default is whichever was specified the last time
> hwclock was used to set the clock (i.e. hwclock was
> successfully run with the --set , --systohc , or
> --adjust options), as recorded in the adjtime file.
> If the adjtime file doesn't exist, the default is
> local time."
>
> If in doubt delete the /etc/adjtime file so hwclock will re-create it
> and reset it back to something sane.
>
> 2. If you're running KDE2 then the time setting utility (right click on
> clock in the panel) assumes that your hardware clock is set to gmt (the
> time zone not the variable). If your hardware clock is on local time
> then set the time zone to "no selection". This should straighten up the
> KDE2 clock.
>
> I had similar time problems on three SuSE 7.1 installations and some
> 6.4's too. The above fixed them all.
>
> Ed.

Thanks again Ed. Nobody can estimate the value of these mailing lists.

Bob S.